4.29.2011

Part 9: Penthouse 9

Never again will I have the chance to live in the penthouse apartment overlooking a giant cosmopolitan city--with a pool table. I just simply will never get that lucky twice in a lifetime.

Roommates Stand and Rose
Visitor Wes. Spending the sunny days practicing and mastering Koyunbaba

Visitors Meg and Maggie. 25th birthday nonsense on the roof. 
Visitor Zach. After a long day of walking. I think he walked the entire length of the city.
Visitor Patrick y novia.  We dared him to eat the entire tub of green salsa. He puked outside and ran for milk. 

We had some parties, but mostly this was my special place. I loved being alone before Matt and Oscar would get home. I could find the quiet that is so elusive in big cities. I loved waking up with the sun coming through my big window. I loved coming home in the evenings and walking to the grocery store or to spinning class a few blocks away. Chapultepec park was right there so it was easy to train for the half marathon I ran in September. I would wake up early before the heat set in and go run as many times as possible around a 3km loop around the Castillo. I was just a short walk from the metro station where I would catch the bus to and from work--just 4 pesos each way. I lived really close to Wade, Kate, Anneke and Shoshana. When I got Babs things changed a lot. I couldn't ride the bus anymore and so I depended on Wade or taking cabs. Babs was an expert at riding in stinky VW bugs with strange men.  She was my permanent sidekick.
The 5th of July
I had the room with my own bathroom. I painted a purple design on the wall. I hung up my pictures and eventually some curtains so the neighbors couldn't see me change anymore. I lived with Matt the lawyer from Alaska, Oscar who I knew at UT, Matt's Brazilian girlfriend Rose who I adore completely and who made us delicious dinner, and my London mate Stan.  Stan is one of the freshest guys out there who is a very good dancer, artist and futbol fan. Babs and her poop droppings were with us too. We still never seemed to use up the space. Except for the 4th of July party at Club Pachuca--which resulted in one of the biggest nastiest messes I've ever seen. We shot fireworks off the roof, cooked about 100 hamburgers and gave beer to what seemed like every foreigner and bachelor lawyer in the city. That night I met Angel and we had the idea to start Filmex. I met Abby for the first time. I met Damian and Will. .We were like this big family and at every party you meet someone new who is your distant cousin twice removed or something.

I hosted a few visitors. First was Zach and John Michael. They came for about a week total before I had a bed or anything. Wes of course came and stayed for probably 2 months total. Meghan and Maggie came for my birthday. Alex, a friend of Mariette's came to learn about the swine flu for his work at the CDC on infectious disease. Patrick and his girlfriend whose name I forget came for a few days.

No comments: