4.28.2011

The Intro to Home Part 9: Email Correspondence



Hello,

Is your room still available? I'm moving from Austin, TX to start a new job there in Mexico. My company is putting me up for November but your place looks really nice, and seems to be in a great area. If it is still available, I'd love to come and check it out sometime. I'll be in town beginning this Saturday. I can give you more info. about myself if needed.  
-Katy


Hi, Katy:
 
Yes, the place is still available.  Please tell us a little about yourself (and if you want to know more about us, ask away), and we can set up a time for you to swing by over the weekend.
 
Thanks,
Matt.
BEFORE
AFTER--And at Christmas




Matt,

I am moving to the city this Saturday to start a new job on Monday. We could schedule a time to see the place but I will most likely be very busy this first weekend. My company is paying my rent for November so I am not in a rush. If your place is still available, maybe I can come the following weekend?

And some things about myself:

I have been living in Austin, TX since 2002 going to college and working. An American company based out of Mexico City has hired me to work there indefinitely, but I've only visited the city once for the interview. My income will be steady and I should be there for at least a year. My personal life is centered around friends. I usually cook dinners, go see bands and movies, etc. This will be a significant change of lifestyle for me, and I hope to get involved in a variety of local scenes--maybe even take a night course at the university. Ideally I would live with girls, since I'm a girl and I'm used to them, but your place really looks amazing so I can be flexible. On that note, I have a boyfriend who will be in the states so I won't be bringing around dudes. 

I would be interested in knowing what you and the other roommate do in Mexico, and what your interests are etc. Whatever you think you would want to know if you were in my shoes. 

Talk to you soon,
Katy


Hi, Katy.

We've actually decided to rent the place starting December 1st (because Mauricio isn't a skilled enough lawyer to get out of his current lease before then), so there's no rush on our part, either.  One of us could probably show you the place next weekend.

Mauricio and I are associates at a Mexican law firm.  I'm 30 (though people think I'm younger--likely due to my juvenile comportment).  Mauricio (or "the colonel", as he is lovingly known around these parts) is 32.  Mau went to UNAM and Duke for law degrees.  I picked up mine at UDLA-Puebla and the U. of Wash.  We work constantly (usually 12 hrs/day), but of course take the mandatory two hour lunch.

I couldn't really tell you what I do outside of work because it's all-consuming, but I do try to run every morning, and on the weekends I like to go out.  I enjoy politics, baseball, alcohol, and being an ugly American.  I really love Mexico and Mexico City in particular.  I hope to be involved in a citizen group to crack down on crime. 

Mauricio is something of a semi-pro soccer player and a momma's boy.  He has a small dog and an on-again-off-again girlfriend.  I've actually never lived with the man, but having worked with him for a month, I can vouch for him.  Also, his current apartment is spotless, which is a good sign.

I think it's great you'll be faithful to your beau back home.  We're concerned about having someone who would be bringing home random dudes.  Our significant others, if any, will not live at the apartment, though they may stay over on occasion.  We also want to avoid having someone who would be home all day, since we'll be splitting the bills.

More about the place: There is no furniture.  Mauricio has a fridge, microwave and some small gym items he'll be bringing (think tiny bowflex), but the idea is for each person to contribute a few pieces of stylish furniture to the community.  When dealing with furniture, less is more as far as we're concerned.

How old are you, what part of town will you work in, and do you plan on getting a car?  There are two parking spots.  Mauricio has a car, and I'm starting to think about getting one for the weekends.         

mhd

No comments: